DIA is committed to protecting your privacy while interacting with our content on this website, using our services or visiting our Airport.
DIA is committed to protecting your personal information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
What personal information do we collect?
The type of information collected by DIA will depend on your relationship with the company and information required by law.
Personal information we collect about you in general dealings could include:
• Your name, address, telephone numbers, date of birth, employment details, flight details and your driver’s licence number.
• A recording of your image on Closed Circuit Television (CCTV).
• A recording of your voice from calls to certain airport operations or security telephone lines.
In the case of matters relating to security or airfield operations - for example, applications for an Aviation Security Identification Card (ASIC), Visitor Identification Card (VIC) or other forms of identification card or an Authority to Drive Airside (ADA) at DIA - we may collect additional personal information in order to manage and administer our business systems and comply with our legislative obligations. This information includes:
• Your place of birth, country of citizenship and gender.
• Your photograph.
• In the case of applications for an ASIC or other form of identification card, your previous residential addresses for the last 10 years, details of previous criminal offences, details of any pending prosecutions, and information provided to us by relevant government agencies (such as the outcome of criminal records checks, security assessments and immigration checks).
In the case of retail and marketing related matters, we might collect additional personal information such as:
• Your preferences concerning types of products or services.
• The frequency of use of certain types of products or services.
• The methods, purpose and frequency of travel.
• Your preferred destinations.
• Your income demographics.
When visiting our website we may automatically record details about any computer used to access our website. This may include the IP address, domain name, browser type, the date and the time of access and details of the information downloaded. These details are not capable of identifying you and are used solely for statistical analysis and research on usage patterns to improve this website.
How do we collect information?
Personal information will normally be collected directly from you when you deal with us by telephone, by correspondence through a letter, fax or e-mail, via our website, by making an application for an ASIC, VIC, ADA or other form of identification card, or through direct face-to-face contact.
Other ways in which we collect personal information include:
• Where you access any of our retail products or services.
• Recording your image from CCTV taken on DIA’s premises. DIA uses CCTV for ongoing crime prevention, aviation safety, airport security and operational purposes.
• Through recording calls to certain airport operations and security telephone lines for security and/or safety purposes.
There may be occasions when we collect personal information about you from a third party, such as:
• A service provider.
• A customer airline or retail outlet.
• In relation to security matters, a government department, body or law-enforcement agency.
• A publicly available source.
What if you refuse to supply information?
Generally speaking, you are not obliged to provide us with personal information. However, failure to do so may mean that we are unable to transact business with you, process any application for the issue of an authority, licence, pass or permit, or provide you with an appropriate level of service.
Opting in or out
At the point we collect information from you, you may be asked to “opt in” to consent to us using or disclosing your personal information other than in accordance with this policy or any applicable law. For example, you may be asked to “opt in” to receive further information or communications from our advertisers and supporters which do not fall into one of the categories described above.
You will generally be given the opportunity to “opt out” from receiving communications from us or from third parties that send communications to you in accordance with this policy. For example, you will be given the option to unsubscribe from e-newsletters and other marketing or promotional material sent by us. You may “opt out” from receiving these communications by, for example, clicking on an unsubscribe link at the end of an email.
If you receive communications purporting to be connected with DIA or our services that you believe have been sent to you other than in accordance with this policy, or in breach of any law, please write to us at email@example.com
How does Darwin International Airport use your personal information?
Personal Information collected by DIA is generally used in any of the following ways:
• To help us develop, improve, manage and administer the services we provide to you.
• To ensure that our business systems are functional and reliable, which may include fulfilling legal obligations.
• To process applications effectively for the issue of authorities, licenses, passes, permissions and permits (including ADAs, ASICs, and other identification cards).
• To assess whether or not any authorities, licenses, passes, permissions and permits should be cancelled or suspended.
• To conduct marketing activities including market research.
• As part of the investigation and analysis of incidents or occurrences (including potential incidents and occurrences) which occur on or at DIA.
• To investigate, respond to or defend claims made against, or involving, DIA.
• To enforce a contract or agreement which DIA has with you.
We will not use your personal information for purposes other than those set out above without your consent, unless that use is authorised under the Privacy Act 1988.
When does Darwin International Airport disclose personal information to third parties?
DIA will only disclose your personal information to persons or bodies external to DIA where permitted by the Privacy Act 1988, including in the following circumstances:
• Where you consent to the disclosure.
• In the case of information collected through your application for an ASIC or any other identification card, this may be provided to government agencies from time to time (such as the Commonwealth Attorney General’s Department, Australian Security Intelligence Organisation or AusCheck; the Australian Federal Police; Australian Customs and Border Protection Service; the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship; and the NT Police) for security, law enforcement, customs and immigration purposes.
• To our contractors and agents (for the purpose of the services they provide) so that we can complete a transaction on your behalf or provide you with a service that you have requested.
• Where required by law including under a subpoena issued by a court.
• For law enforcement, insurance matters, safety purposes, or operational purposes for which the information was collected.
How does Darwin International Airport protect your personal information?
DIA has security measures designed to provide reasonable protection against misuse and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Such measures include:
• Firewalls and login password protocols for all information stored electronically.
• Secure, access-controlled premises.
• Limited access locations for information stored as hard copy.
• Confidentiality provisions in our employment and service contracts.
What rights do you have to access and correct your personal information held by us?
Requests for access and/or correction of personal information will be assessed in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988.
There is no application fee for making a request to access your personal information. However, we may charge an administrative fee for the provision of information in order to recover costs.
Human Resources Manager
Northern Territory Airports Pty Ltd
PO Box 40996
Casuarina NT 0811