ICAO code: YPDN
IATA code: DRW
S 12 24.9
E 130 52.6
Darwin International Airport is operated by Northern Territory Airports Pty Ltd and is a joint-user facility shared with the Department of Defence. The entire site covers 1526 hectares. The airport-leased area of 311 hectares is to the north of Runway 11/29 out to Rapid Creek, and included commercial land along McMillans and Bagot roads. Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base Darwin is established south of Runway 11/29.
The RAAF Base Darwin was established on the present site in 1940 and civil operations commenced on a joint-user basis in 1945. The terminal building was a converted RAAF hangar and operated until the new terminal on the northern side opened in 1991.
- The airport operates 24 hours a day and can accommodate the largest aircraft in operation
- The main runway (11/29) is 3354 metres long by 60 metres wide with grooving to 45 metres
- The second runway (18/36) is 1524 metres long by 30 metres wide
- Both runways have a full length parallel taxiway.
- Runway 29 is equipped with a Category 1 Instrument Landing System. High Intensity Approach Lighting (HIAL) and a Precision Approach Path Indicator (PAPI) are available on Runway 11 and 29.
- Runway 18/36 is unlit.
- Air Traffic Control (ATC) within 40 nautical miles of the airport is provided by 44 Wing, RAAF.
- Detailed aeronautical information is available at www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications